The random—and not so random—musings of a quirky Regency romance writer.
No one with that many people in her head can possibly be normal...

Sunday, June 20, 2010

How I Got Published When I Wasn't Looking For a Publisher

I've never looked for a publisher. I've never sent a query letter to an agent. I've never written a query letter at all, even to practice the art. I'm one of those self-published authors who skipped the headache, the debilitating, demoralizing headache, of querying agent after agent, publisher after publisher, in that never-ending search for just one other person who thinks my baby is a winner. 

I wrote, edited, published, and marketed my first four books. All at once. I had a couple family members to help look for typos and any glaring historical inaccuracy that might have slipped my notice. Those same family members helped spread the word about my books through facebook, goodreads, twitter and any number of other social networking venues. 

Recently, I tried my hand at short stories. I submitted four of them to an anthology being compiled by the moderators of a small, private group I frequent on Goodreads. Two were selected for inclusion. 

In the process of readying the pieces for submission, I mentioned on my facebook page what I was doing and my need for some honest critiques. One volunteer was Linda Boulanger.  

I didn't know who or "what" Linda was when I emailed her the rough drafts of all four of my short stories. I didn't know she co-owned One Stop Publisher, a helping hand type of publishing service for those who desire to self-publish.* I didn't know she'd just helped start a more traditional publishing line, TreasureLine Books and Publishing, and was on the lookout for authors to add to their catalog. Invited authors receive the same services as the One Stop customers but at no cost.

TreasureLine is paying to publish me. Me. The mind positively boggles. ;o)

So what's my point in sharing this?

Never underestimate the value of social networking.

In my ordinary networking activities, a new publisher not only asked for a submission, but offered to publish me based on a few rough drafts. After reaching an agreement, I submitted a novel-length manuscript. That novel, Deception, will be released July 15 and is available now for a special pre-release price from TreasureLine.

Happy networking, all! :o)

*One Stop Publisher offers every service the big vanity presses offer at a fraction of the price. Transcribing, basic editing, cover design, page layout, website design and setup, publishing, marketing, and book trailers, all in one easy stop. If you are looking to self-publish but don't want to shell out thousands of dollars to a vanity press, One Stop Publisher may be exactly what you're looking for. 

4 comments:

Lori said...

Of course it happened. You are an amazing Writer!! I knew that the day I read 'Betrayal'

I am so happy for you!!

Hope you have a great day!!

Amy DeTrempe said...

Congrats. I am glad to read how the power of networking on FB really helped. I've sometimes wondered.

The Heartless Gamer Girl said...

Thank you, Lori! You're so sweet! :o)

The Heartless Gamer Girl said...

Thank you, Amy. I've wondered about social networking sites myself and felt that maybe the cons outweighed the pros. But agents, editors, and publishers are using these sites too.

Thanx for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin