The random—and not so random—musings of a quirky Regency romance writer.
No one with that many people in her head can possibly be normal...

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

~Regency Wednesday~ Redingote

Today we'll learn what a redingote is. For many of you Regency romance fans, this is a word you have no doubt seen more than once in your literary adventures.

The word redingote is actually a corruption of the French word for riding coat. Put simply, it is an article of outer wear, like a long coat. On gentlemen, it is often referred to as a greatcoat and was quite similar to the frock coat. It was originally worn for riding but later developed into just another fashionable item of clothing.

On ladies, it was very similar to a gentleman's riding coat and had a nipped in waist and full skirt.

The lady shown here is from 1790 and the gentleman is from 1813.

No comments:


Blog Widget by LinkWithin