The random—and not so random—musings of a quirky Regency romance writer.
No one with that many people in her head can possibly be normal...

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

National Novel Writing Month

That's right, folks. It's that time of year again. It is time for aspiring and published novelists the world over to crank out horrible prose in their race for the goal of 50,000 words in one month.

OK, wording it that way makes it sound really fun and even relaxing. I think I need to take a month and just write without worrying about editing as I go, without looking up the tiniest detail to verify the facts. I could concentrate on my descriptions, the action, and the emotion of the moment rather than whether or not the word "stress" was used in Regency England.

Ah, but that brings up an entirely different question, doesn't it? What genre should I write?
  1. Regency: I could go the easy route and flesh out one of the numerous Regencies that I have mapped. But I think I would be too tempted to look up all those little details. (I'm still mad at myself for using the word "handicap" in Heartless in reference to a disability. Bad Regency author, using a word that had a different meaning then.)
  2. Fantasy: There is a fantasy novel that I have roving my brain, begging for release. It's this novel that seems to be calling for the honor of being my Nano project. I have the characters written out, physical descriptions, personalities and whatnot. I recently made some huge changes to the storyline, though, which makes it less mapped out and more in need of some re-mapping. The other problem with this novel is the fact that it is currently nameless. I have run into a brick wall on the name for some reason.
  3. Medieval: I also have a medieval romance mapped out. It's set in England, 1174. I think I would have the same temptation with this one that I would have with a Regency, however. I would want to stop every five minutes to make sure I have my word usage correct. By the way, does anyone have a really great pic of a golden eagle I can use for my cover?
  4. Psychological Thriller: Yeah, believe it or not, I have a psycho thriller that I started several years ago. It is a product of one of my own personal fears. This competition might give me the impetus I need to get it finished.
So, anybody out there have any opinion on what I should write?

What about you? Have you ever tried NaNoWriMo? Will you this year? If you've never written a novel but have always wanted to try, NaNoWriMo is for you. Take the plunge. You know you want to. *evil grin*

Here's my Nano addy for anyone who'd like to be buddies:

As always, happy reading, writing and blogging!!

6 comments:

Christy B said...

I'd say go with Medieval. Then again, I went to a Renaissance Festival this weekend and have Medieval on the brain!

I participated last year for the first time and reached 50,000 in two weeks, which was a surprise. I'm doing it again this year writing a novel set in 1870s England and United States. And this year I'm actually prepared!

I'm runawayrose and am adding you as a writing buddy. :)

The Heartless Gamer Girl said...

I will take your opinion into consideration, Christy. I have written some on it but not so much that I can't scrap it and start over. I probably should anyway. :oD

Congrats on last year's win! And so impressively, too. I hope to at least get close. I've managed 50k words in one month before (not for Nano) but that was before I had two kids, LOL.

I have added you as a buddy as well. Happy writing! And thanx for commenting!

RJ Lyons said...

Ok, I guess I could give my 2cents.

I the ideas of regency, medieval and fantasy.

But as you write regency for everyday, I guess a change of 'scene' wouldn't hurt.

Which one of the suggestions do you have more of a tendency to keep looking at? That would be the one to go with.

As for the 50,000 words you can do it. It might mean that you would have to cut back on the facebook games for a little bit. lol

The Heartless Gamer Girl said...

Interesting, Gloria...

Honestly, the fantasy novel is the one that I keep thinking about. It has a dragon and for some reason, I really want to write his story.

Facebook games? I don't know what you're talking about... ;o)

Paul Mitton said...

Oh yes, the dragon one, definitely. Thier haven't been amny books written from the dragon's perspective. So you have originality already :)

The Heartless Gamer Girl said...

Oh, there's my stalker again. How are you, Paul?

Dragon's perspective...In a way, yes, it is. Parts of it. Sort of a weredragon thing. This could be why I am so drawn to the story.

I am having trouble naming this one, though. It's driving me up a wall!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin