The random—and not so random—musings of a quirky Regency romance writer.
No one with that many people in her head can possibly be normal...

Saturday, July 5, 2014

~Snippet Saturday~ Loyalty

Hello again, my lovelies! It’s Saturday and you know what that means. Another snippet from one of my books. ☺ (My apologies for missing last Saturday.)

I’ve chosen “Loyalty” today, the first story in the Forgotten, and other Heartless tales anthology. Enjoy! ♥ 



(From chapter four, a scene between Michaella and her sister, Leandra, with an appearance by the Duke of Derringer.)

Lady Michaella had changed over the years. Where once she’d had nothing but soft, kind words and ladylike manners, she now exhibited the occasional bout of cynicism and rudeness, her interaction with a certain gentleman topping any other moment.

“I suppose I shall leave you now,” Michaella said after several moments of companionable silence.

“Must you? I haven’t seen you for ages.”

“I have things I must do before my wedding. There is but a fortnight before I become Mrs. Wainwright, you know.”

“You can meet him before you promise to love and obey him, Kaylee,” Leandra gently reminded her. “I think it would be for the best. I take no issue with you asking for an arranged marriage but to marry him sight unseen? Is that wise?”

“Your concern does you credit, Merri, but it is misplaced,” Michaella assured her. “I am content waiting for the vows to see his face.” She set her bonnet on her head and tied the ribbons, then reached for her gloves. “I trust his countenance is pleasing?”

“Oh my, yes,” Leandra breathed, an almost dreamy quality transforming her plump features.

Michaella laughed. “Oh, Merri, my dear, are you smitten with my betrothed? What does your duke think of that?”

“He hates it,” the man in question muttered as he strode purposefully back into the room. Rifling through some papers on his desk, he added, “He would run your betrothed through if the blighter hadn’t agreed to marry you.”

“What have I to do with it?” Michaella couldn’t help asking.

The duke shot her an annoyed look, but refrained from commenting.

“Don’t speak of yourself as though you are not in the room, dear,” Leandra remonstrated. “It is hardly Rhys’ fault that he is so pleasing to look upon and employs pretty manners too.”

“If not his fault, then whose?” Derringer countered.

Leandra moved to her husband’s side and laid a gentle hand on his arm. Smiling, she gazed up at him. “My love, you like Rhys or you would not have approached him about marrying Michaella. Refrain from any more of this false anger.”

He growled but kissed the top of her head. “Next time he calls, you are not to see him. Pleasing countenance indeed. Bloody hell.”

“Language, my love.”

“You’d like to hear more?”

“I will leave you to battle this one without me,” Michaella inserted before the duke could make good on his threat. “Thank you for the tea. I will be sure to call often in the coming weeks.” She took her leave after a parting embrace from her sister and a surprising, affectionate squeeze from the duke. The man was a puzzle.



I hope you enjoyed this snippet. If you’d like to read the rest of the story, as well as the other two stories in this anthology, check out Forgotten’s page on my website HERE for buying links. If you’d like to get it for 50% off the list price, I recommend grabbing a copy from Smashwords.* Thank you for stopping by!!

*Limited time offer for Smashwords’ Summer/Winter Sale. Coupon good through July 31, 2014.

♥Happy reading, writing, and blogging!!♥

There’s a jukebox in my head. It’s currently playing
♫♪ Sarah McLachlan ~ Angel 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin